From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Let's redesign the entire filesystem! [was newsitem: unmasking udev-181]
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 03:54:16
On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 11:14:23PM -0400, Joshua Kinard wrote:
> Yeah, I think it's an easy fix either in openrc or in an initscript > somewhere. I changed nothing except my kernel (was missing devtmpfs -- it's > not under Filesystems!), uninstalled module-init-tools, and installed kmod + > udev-181. Then rolled back the snapshot once I had the results.
When udev is linked against a library in /usr, this is not going to work anymore, because udev won't start at all. On many simple setups, yes, it's not going actually break much in my testing on pure OpenRC. udev starts in the sysinit runlevel, and /usr would normally only become available later, in the boot runlevel, when localmount runs... Consider this potential boot order: sysinit/sysfs sysinit/udev (fails without sysfs) boot/modules (after udev, so udev rules work on modprobe) boot/hwclock (needs rtc modules on some systems) boot/fsck (after devices are available) boot/root (after fsck) boot/localmount (after fsck) udev before modules is fairly critical for some hardware, so that it gets configured properly. -- Robin Hugh Johnson Gentoo Linux: Developer, Trustee & Infrastructure Lead E-Mail : robbat2@g.o GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85