From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: usr merge
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2016 07:38:39
1 Luca Barbato posted on Sat, 09 Apr 2016 15:03:15 +0200 as excerpted:
2
3 > On 09/04/16 14:37, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >> I've certainly haven't had many problems with dracut. When it fails it
5 >> is usually because I'm doing something ELSE that is off-the-wall and it
6 >> just doesn't have a plugin for it yet. (And in those cases it isn't
7 >> like the kernel tends to get it right without an initramfs.)
8 >>
9 >> I'd certainly want to test it on a merged /usr, but I'd be surprised if
10 >> it doesn't work, since it was designed to run on distros that are using
11 >> a merged /usr.
12 >
13 > I think that should be the first thing to do not the last one =)
14
15 FWIW, dracut works just fine with a "reverse-merged" /usr (usr -> .), as
16 well as the bin/sbin merge. And if it works with that, it'll certainly
17 work with (normal) merged usr, as AFAIK upstream's fedora/rh sponsored.
18
19 >> In an ideal world, you might argue that / should just be a tmpfs or
20 >> something almost as ephemeral. It is just a place you hang everything
21 >> else off of.
22
23 > That would be the core concept, but then you can just not have /bin
24 > /sbin /lib
25
26 That's in the context of (forward) /usr merge, which would make all those
27 symlinks to the appropriate /usr location anyway. Those symlinks could
28 of course be created dynamically, as could the various mountpoint
29 directories.
30
31 Of course /etc would have to be dynamically mounted in that scenario as
32 well, but that's not a big issue as long as there's an initr*
33
34 I actually thought about doing a tmpfs-based / here, or effectively just
35 never doing the pivotroot off the initramfs, with everything else
36 dynamically mounted over top the initramfs dirs, but decided to go a
37 different way instead, putting (almost) everything installed by the PM
38 on /, and doing a reverse-/usr-merge, with /usr -> . , with / then ro-
39 mounted by default. Seemed simpler for what I wanted to do than the
40 tmpfs or stay-on-initramfs / route.
41
42 >> The thing I like about the merge is that it basically puts all your
43 >> distro-supplied stuff in one place. /usr basically becomes the OS
44 >> minus state. If things started out that way and you just had a short
45 >> stub loader that gets things initialized, and I were arguing that
46 >> instead of that little initialization stub you should break up /usr so
47 >> that the root count mount /usr, would that sound all that compelling? I
48 >> think having it all in one mountpoint seems a lot more compelling.
49 >
50 > you cannot ever have everything in 1 mount point, you just move the
51 > problem somewhere else you notice less (initramfs), but the problem
52 > remains and either is solved or not.
53 >
54 > having everything in /usr and then copy it over ${somewhere} is there,
55 > it can be debated if /bin or initramfs is the best place to put it.
56
57 I suppose many of us have made that point at least to ourselves, at some
58 point. =:^)
63 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman