From: "Jan Kundrát" <jkt@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] Moving HOMEPAGE out of ebuilds for the future
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 23:38:03
1 Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò wrote:
2 > - no need to replicate homepage data between versions; even though forks
3 > can change homepage, I would expect that to at worse split in two a
4 > package, or have to be different by slot, like Java;
5
6 But also the need to replicate http://www.kde.org/ to metadata.xml of
7 all KDE split ebuilds -- right now, this is set by an eclass.
8
9 > - allows proper handling of packages lacking a HOMEPAGE;
10
11 Could you elaborate a bit about how different is handling of an
12 empty/uninitialized shell variable from an empty XML element?
13
14 > - less data in metadata cache;
15
16 Isn't it in the cache for some reason? Really, I'm just asking.
17
18 > - users can check the metadata much more easily by just opening the xml
19 > file or interfacing to that rather than having to skim through the
20 > ebuild, the xml files are probably more user readable then ebuilds
21 > using multiple eclasses;
22
23 Haven't we already agreed that accessing ebuilds/... directly is broken
24 by design?
25
26 > - webapps like packages.gentoo.org would be able to display basic
27 > information without having to parse the ebuilds or the metadata cache.
28
29 Except for the ebuilds which still use the old format (that is 100% of
30 the tree right now)
31
32 Cheers,
33 -jkt
36 cd /local/pub && more beer > /dev/mouth