From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [GLEP56] USE flag descriptions in metadata
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 17:20:42
1 On 17:11 Fri 06 Jun , Marius Mauch wrote:
2 > It's not about "forcing" anyone to do something but giving people enough
3 > information on how to implement it _if they choose to do so_. With the
4 > current GLEP they'd have to make arbitrary decisions if e.g. a flag is
5 > defined in both use.local.desc and metadata.xml, or some people might
6 > think that it replaces use.local.desc completely.
7 > Really, all I'm looking for is something like
8 >
9 > "This proposal does not intend to replace the existing use.local.desc
10 > format. If a flag is defined for a package in both use.local.desc and
11 > metadata.xml the latter should be preferred by tools"
12 >
13 > Do you really consider that to be such a huge deal?
14
15 From a council perspective, I think that we should have GLEPs that
16 promote a certain solution as one that should be preferred and should
17 deprecate another. We need to take a stand on the best way to do things
18 and to have GLEPs that do the same, choosing the better direction to
19 motivate people to do things that way. If that stand turns out to be
20 wrong after people have spent some time doing the work, we can revert
21 the GLEP and unapprove it.
22
23 Thanks,
24 Donnie