From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Let's redesign the entire filesystem!
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 20:55:59
1 On 03/14/2012 01:03 PM, Richard Yao wrote:
2 > On 03/14/12 14:56, Zac Medico wrote:
3 >> On 03/14/2012 11:36 AM, Maxim Kammerer wrote:
4 >>> On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 19:58, Matthew Summers
5 >>> <quantumsummers@g.o> wrote:
6 >>>> Why is an in-kernel initramfs so bad anyway? I am baffled. Its quite
7 >>>> nice to have a minimal recovery env in case mounting fails, etc, etc,
8 >>>> etc.
9 >>>
10 >>> There is nothing bad about initramfs. I think that you are misreading
11 >>> the arguments above.
12 >>
13 >> Whatever the arguments may be, the whole discussion boils down to the
14 >> fact that the only people who seem to have a "problem" are those that
15 >> have a separate /usr partition and simultaneously refuse to use an
16 >> initramfs.
17 >
18 > I do not have a separate /usr partition, however I agree with Joshua
19 > Kinard's stance regarding the /usr move. The point of having a separate
20 > /usr was to enable UNIX to exceed the space constraints that a 1.5MB
21 > hard disk placed on rootfs. As far as I know, we do not support a 1.5MB
22 > rootfs so it would make sense to deprecate the practice of having things
23 > that belong in / in /usr directory, as opposed to making /usr into a new /.
24 >
25 > Deprecation of this practice would mean that people could type
26 > /bin/command instead of /usr/bin/command in situations where absolute
27 > paths are necessary. We could symlink things in /usr to rootfs for
28 > compatibility with legacy software. In a more extreme case, we could
29 > symlink /usr to /, which would make plenty of sense given that we do not
30 > need a separate /usr at all.
31
32 I'm not seeing any compelling benefits here that would justify a lack of
33 conformity with other *nix distros. It seems almost as though it's an
34 attempt to be different for the sake of being different, perhaps a
35 symptom of something like NIH syndrome.
36 --
37 Thanks,
38 Zac