From: Guillaume Lefevre <lefg@×××××××.fr>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] first impressions
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 16:17:36
1 Hello,
2
3 I've discovered gentoo a few days ago and it looks very promising, but
4 it's still very rought
5 on the edges, I havent completly switched to it but it's under process.
6
7 A few comments:
8 1) the CD image:
9 - an SMP kernel would be nice.
10 - missing gunzip links disables keyboard layout (nasty for non qwerty
11 users) and manpages
12 - install procedure on the cd
13 - md5sum of the iso image
14 2) the ebuild system, it great! but:
15 - why linking to ftp.ibiblio.org as primary site?
16 - when hordes of maniacs and fans will charge to it, it won't be
17 pretty :-)
18 - maybe a list of mirrors by continents?
19 - why java depends on x11, I need it for cocoon, I know I can edit
20 the script by hand, but...
21 3) willing to help on my spare time (between college and work):
22 - docs
23 - ebuild scripts
24 - php, sql, python
25