From: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo tree package moves updates.
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2016 23:01:12
1 On Tue, 8 Mar 2016 22:40:34 +0100
2 Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > >>>>> On Tue, 8 Mar 2016, Brian Dolbec wrote:
5 >
6 > > As discussed a few years ago. We agreed to trim the package moves
7 > > updates to maintain 4 years history active in the tree. It currently
8 > > still goes back to include 2010. There was a recent edit to a 2010
9 > > file that triggered a full re-processing of those files.
10 >
11 > That's not correct. I had noticed reprocessing of all files already
12 > around March 1st, definitely before the edit of the 1Q-2010 file.
13
14 There has been at least one time recently that a change in the rsync
15 tree generation scripts caused an massive download of files and
16 re-processing of the updates. I believe that was the incident you were
17 referring to. I saw chat (#gentoo-dev) a few days ago from dwfreed. He
18 was testing out more changes to those scripts. So, it is possible that
19 a script update once again caused the re-processing. I'm inquiring if
20 that was indeed the reason.
23 > > Last night for me it was triggered again. I don't know the cause,
24 > > but I really don't care enough to investigate. But it prompted bug
25 > > 576752.
26 >
27 > > That said, being 2016, I am going to trim 2010 and 2011 files from
28 > > the active tree in 48 hours unless anyone shows a valid and
29 > > justifiable reason to keep them.
30 >
31 > That would (maybe) cure the symptoms, but don't you think that the
32 > real bug should be found? I suggest that you wait with removal of the
33 > files until then.
34 >
35 > Ulrich
36
37 No, it won't cure the symptoms, just, shorten the number processed.
38 Also it will eliminate a possible need to edit those old files like had
39 been done recently.
42 Brian Dolbec <dolsen>