From: Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] About what would be included in EAPI5
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2012 14:30:02
1 El sáb, 16-06-2012 a las 14:48 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh escribió:
2 > On Sat, 16 Jun 2012 15:37:44 +0200
3 > Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o> wrote:
4 > > > > About suggesting new item (like forcing rebuilding of other
5 > > > > packages as discussed some days ago and crosscompile support
6 > > > > suggested by Tommy today), I guess we need to get them voted by
7 > > > > the council?
8 > > >
9 > > > No. You need to get a draft diff for PMS written, along with an
10 > > > implementation in a package mangler of your choice and proof that it
11 > > > works in practice.
12 > >
13 > > Umm, this way to work makes any suggestion for future eapis to be
14 > > accepted only if they come from people able to prepare that
15 > > implementation in the package manager their prefer and, then, be
16 > > stalled more and more time :|
17 >
18 > It's more of a filter against people saying "EAPI 5 should do blah!"
19 > where no-one knows what blah actually is (and if you ask five people
20 > you get six answers) or how it should be implemented, or whether the
21 > implementation in any way works.
22 >
23 > The classic example is multilib: people keep saying "EAPI n+1 should do
24 > multilib!" where no-one has any idea what "do multilib" means. If you
25 > asked the Council to vote on that, they'd probably say yes, because
26 > multilib is good, but it's like politicians voting to say that by next
27 > year everyone should own a flying car.
28 >
29 > Your "forcing rebuild" is similar: the hard part is figuring out the
30 > problem. You may *think* you know what the issue is, but other people
31 > think it is something else, and in fact everyone is pretty much wrong
32 > on the whole thing. Until you've a) worked out what exactly you're
33 > tryin to solve (no-one has done this yet), b) worked out exactly what
34 > a solution is, and c) given the solution extensive testing on real
35 > packages to ensure that step a) didn't miss anything, talking to the
36 > Council is a waste of everyone's time.
37 >
38 > You are of course welcome to try to persuade someone else to do the
39 > work for you. That's what has happened for a good chunk of the current
40 > EAPI 5 list, and it's been the same for earlier EAPIs. But what you
41 > shouldn't do is expect a feature to be introduced just based upon a two
42 > sentence description, because the best outcome there is that we end up
43 > giving you something approximately related to what you wanted...
46 I thought last Zac suggestion of ABI_SLOT modified to use "SLOT=ble/bla"
47 was clear enough and we reached a consensus. About what I am trying to
48 solve, I have explained it multiple times in involved thread and won't
49 repeat them once again.