From: Agostino Sarubbo <ago@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: soap@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] A feedback about the CI bug reporting system
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:30:12
1 On venerdì 6 novembre 2020 08:21:39 CET Agostino Sarubbo wrote:
2 > Hello all,
3 >
4 > 6 months have been passed after the CI system started to file bug reports.
5 > ~ 4700 bugs have been submitted
6 >
7 > We _know_ that atm is not possible to set a specific summary, instead a
8 > generic summary is used in case of compile failures and test failures.
9 > There are also some documented limitations.
10 >
11 > If there aren't much commits, usually you get the bug after 30 minutes after
12 > the commit and this looks to be nice.
13 >
14 > Since there are conflicting opinions I would like to know if you find it
15 > useful or not.
16 >
17 > More info about the project here:
18 > https://blogs.gentoo.org/ago/2020/07/04/gentoo-tinderbox/
19 >
20 > Please keep me CC'ed
21 >
22 > Thank you
23 > Agostino
26 Thanks all for the feedback.
27
28 What looks strange is that ci/tinderbox opened ~4700 bugs, sure, there are
29 invalid/duplicate bugs but the majority are fixed so in my opinion they were
30 useful, but looking at the mailing list feedback looks to be a completely
31 crap.
32
33 I want to play the game of destructive people but in a constructive way.
34
35 Thanks to @gyakovlev for the idea I have opened a new github project where we
36 can collect the requests and the bugs:
37
38 https://github.com/asarubbo/ci/issues
41 An important note:
42
43 I consider this 'project' as something related to QA ( if you have a different
44 opinion feel free to say ), so since I received rant from developers for
45 something requested by other developers, I will touch the code ONLY when there
46 is the QA lead approval.
49 When you want a new feature or you want to modify something that already
50 exists, please open a thread (gentoo-dev is fine, and thanks to bman for the
51 tracking idea) and open a github issue only when there is a written track of
52 the QA lead approval mentioned above.
55 There is a README into the repository that explains all class of bugs
56 discovered by the CI system.
57
58 Thank you
59 Agostino