From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] EAPI 6 draft for review
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2015 08:47:18
1 On Sat, 17 Oct 2015 23:24:47 +0200
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Sat, 17 Oct 2015 22:08:38 +0200
5 > Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o> wrote:
6 >
7 > > On Fri, 16 Oct 2015 20:42:20 +0200
8 > > Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
9 > >
10 > > > [Resending since my first message didn't make it to
11 > > > -dev-announce.]
12 > > >
13 > > > The first draft of EAPI 6 is ready. I shall post it as a series of
14 > > > 22 patches following this message in the gentoo-pms mailing list.
15 > > >
16 > > > Please review. The goal is to have the draft ready for approval
17 > > > in the council's November meeting.
18 > >
19 > > Sorry for coming very late on this, but what is the rationale behind
20 > > setting in stone an 'eapply' different to an 'epatch' that has been
21 > > widely tested for decades now ? Or even defining eapply in PMS ?
22 >
23 > How many decades, exactly? ;-)
24
25 from 1.5 to 1.6 I'd say :p
26
27 [...]
28 > > Also, mandating -p1 seems quite limiting: e.g. 'svn diff -rX:Y'
29 > > extracts -p0 patches by default here. Or when $S is actually a
30 > > subdir of a repository, this will make standard git format-patch
31 > > generated patches unusable.
32 >
33 > The poor man's autodetection implemented in epatch was... well, poor.
34 > It had its corner cases when it failed hard, it was complex and made
35 > error handling PITA (which patch invocation really failed?!).
36
37 There's a log for understanding which invocation failed.
38
39 > It's trivial to change patch to -p1 (I think patchutils can do that).
40
41 It is. But the above cases were not whether it is possible, but rather
42 desirable.
43
44 > It's beneficial to keep patches with predictable directory structure.
45 > And after all, you can use 'eapply -pN' explicitly. And yes, I know
46 > you hate having to think instead of having some random hidden
47 > implicit, likely-to-fail logic do it for you.
48
49 Well, there's that, but I also wonder why every single ebuild uses
50 epatch and not 'patch -p1 < ...' directly if epatch is so bad...
51
52 But my point was not there: I still fail to understand why we should
53 set in stone something not so well tested in comparison to epatch, that
54 doesn't seem to provide any gain besides a default phase that an eclass
55 can also provide, that has less features and that can't be
56 changed/fixed easily.
57
58 Alexis.