From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] grub:2 keywords
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 17:27:33
1 On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 1:02 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Mon, 25 Jun 2012 00:15:59 -0400
3 > Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> An official release of grub-2.00 should be coming pretty soon. I would
6 >> like to keyword this for ~amd64 and ~x86 shortly after it hits the
7 >> tree. I don't do much work on base system packages, so I would like
8 >> some advice on how to make this as smooth as possible.
9 >>
10 >> My main concern is that many people probably have sys-boot/grub in
11 >> @world. If grub:2 is made visible, portage will install it, and will
12 >> remove grub-0.97 on the next depclean. This could be a little
13 >> confusing, but should not cause any immediate damage since the copy
14 >> of grub-0.97 installed in the MBR and /boot would remain intact.
15 >>
16 >> Is this worthy of a news item? Or I just blog about it?
17 >>
18 >> Anything else I need to think about here?
19 >>
20 >> Note: The Gentoo Documentation Project has indicated that they do not
21 >> want to add anything to the handbook until we are somewhat close to
22 >> stabilizing grub:2. That's at least a couple months away.
23 >
24 > I guess you could prepare some docs already, and put them e.g.
25 > on the Wiki. Then it would be a really good idea to release a news item
26 > and point users to those information and inform them about possible
27 > choices.
30 There is already an elog message referring users to the wiki:
31
32 http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GRUB2_Quick_Start