From: "Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn" <chithanh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] have portage be quiet by default
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 00:45:55
Zac Medico schrieb:
> On 11/13/2011 04:36 PM, Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn wrote: >> Zac Medico schrieb: >>>> Per discussion on IRC, I propose to make -v turn off quiet-build by default. >>>> It can remain enabled by default if -v is not passed to emerge. >>> >>> I think -v controls too many other things to make it override >>> --quiet-build, especially since I consider --quiet-build=n to be a mode >>> that most people would prefer to avoid. >> >> No, in my proposal --quiet-build would override -v, not the other way round. > > Your proposal was for -v to override the new default --quiet-build > setting, was it not?
To be more explicit: 1) "emerge foo": quiet build 2) "emerge foo --quiet-build=n": non-quiet build 3) "emerge foo -v": non-quiet build 4) "emerge foo -v --quiet-build=y": quiet-build So -v sets the default for quiet build, but user can still override with explicit --quiet-build=... I think the case 1) covers the arguments in favour of having quiet build by default. Best regards, Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn