From: Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New GLEP draft: Status of forum moderators in the Gentoo project
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 01:17:39
1 On Fri, 2005-06-17 at 20:44 +0200, Christian Hartmann wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > as some of you might already know we are working on a GLEP that is about
5 > the status of forums moderators and admins in the gentoo project. The
6 > main goal of the GLEP is to create a kind of quality assurance and to
7 > ensure that upcoming moderators know about the forums guidelines.
8 > Furthermore it should improve the information flow and improve the
9 > relation between forums and all the other projects.
10
11 As an ex site/forum admin (non Gentoo) I really have to ask what kind of
12 "quality assurance" you're dealing with here.
13
14 Are we talking profane language or just about moving a post of "how do I
15 install do xyz" to the right forum?
16
17 And I do have to ask - what information flow? At the most, Gentoo devs
18 read the forum and post there. After that, forum users have to contact
19 devs via IRC or b.g.o - at best both parties have to read the forums or
20 use IRC, at present people post bugs to get attention. I fail to see how
21 forums can improve the "information flow" when a vast proportion of devs
22 don't even read the forums. I do, but after a year and a bit of being on
23 the forums I think I can safely say that most devs involved with
24 networking don't post in the network forum or read it.
27 > I'm now sending this to you for further discussion. It has already been
28 > discussed with all moderators and site admins as well as with devrel and
29 > the glep guys. Devrel now agreed on the terms and conditions described
30 > in the GLEP considering the process of aquiring new moderators as
31 > developers.
32 >
33 > The newest revision of the GLEP can always be found here:
34 > http://download.iansview.com/gentoo/docs/glep-38/glep-0038.txt
35
36 After reading that, I get the impression that forum admins/mods want
37 better recognition within the Gentoo realm. I would argue that they are
38 the most visible to start with. Heck, I first checked out the forums,
39 downloaded the CD, tried it out, discovered that wireless networking
40 sucked and the rest as they say is history.
41
42 Maybe I'm getting old or summat, but isn't this more of a "Here's how we
43 want to recruit for the forums mods" proposal rather than a "Gentoo
44 Linux Enhancement Proposal"?
47 > Feedback is highly appreciated.
48
49 Cool - here's the feedback in a nutshell.
50 Thumbs up aside from once thing - why the need for a GLEP?
51
52 Roy
55 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list