From: Timothy Redaelli <drizzt@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] trial software in portage?
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 13:30:21
1 Daniel Black ha scritto:
2 > As software licenses seem to be so popular to talk about on gentoo-dev how
3 > about this one.
4 >
5 > Marijn mentioned on Irc that the bestcrypt license commercial trial license
6 > shouldn't be a supported package in Gentoo.
7 >
8 > Seeking further there is more....
9 >
10 > Other licenses with a free time limited evaluation that are supported in
11 > Gentoo portage:
12 > ALMWorks-1.2
13 > Arkkra
14 > OTN
15 > RAR
16 >
17 > BestCrypt is similar:
18 > "BestCrypt for Linux is distributed as software with 30 days evaluation
19 > period. After evaluation period expired, the user has to either pay for
20 > his/her copy of BestCrypt software for Linux or uninstall it. (see End User
21 > License Agreement.)"
22 > http://www.jetico.com/index.htm#/linux.htm (Additional Notes)
23 >
24 > Is there a need for official policy here (and a bit of package removals)?
25
26 /me votes for remove them (and app-cdr/nero)
27
28 We removed winex for a similar reason and imho it's better to remove
29 this crap from the repository (it's difficult to support that packages
30 without violate the licence)
33 Timothy `Drizzt` Redaelli - http://dev.gentoo.org/~drizzt/
34 FreeSBIE Developer, Gentoo Developer, GUFI Staff
35 There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX.
36 We don't believe this to be a coincidence. -- Jeremy S. Anderson