From: Justin Whitney <ripple.gentoo@××××××.be>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] wget 1.8.2 breaks resumed emerges when using sandboxing
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 05:32:31
There's bug (feature?) in wget 1.8.2 where any wget from an ftp source
that resumes to an existing file (-c flag) gets chmod'd to 0600.  If
you're using "userpriv usersandbox" (in portage's FEATURES flag) this
means that any time you ctrl-c an emerge during a download from an ftp
mirror, then emerge again, the resumed file will no loger have o+r
priv's, and therefore emerge will give you an "access denied".  The fix
is simple: chmod o+r the file, and emerge a third time.  Alternatively,
one could change the default download commands in make.conf to use curl
or something else.

Here's an excerpt from the guilty wget source file:

ftp.c-      /* #### Is this correct? */
ftp.c://      chmod (con->target, 0600);

Seems like the answer is no, this is not correct.  It is worth noting
that, as I said above, this applies to only resumed files... which is
curious behaviour.  I've emailed the wget-bug list, but no one has
responded - so maybe the wget maintainers want to take a look at this,
and patch it.  Or maybe portage should make sure o+r is set when
userpriv/usersandbox is being used.

--Justin