From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] emerge world taking excessive CPU/real time
Date: Sun, 01 Nov 2009 00:32:27
1 Zac Medico wrote:
2 > Robert Bradbury wrote:
3 >> I commonly run:
4 >> emerge --pretend --update --verbose --deep --newuse world
5 >> at least once every day to provide a list of recently updated packages
6 >> that I need to re-emerge.
7 >>
8 >> I've noticed recently (in the last 1-2 weeks) that it seems to be taking
9 >> a very long time. The one I've got running now has on the order of 8+
10 >> CPU minutes which seems very long. I think this used to take <2 minutes.
11 >
12 > Maybe it's backtracking for some reason. If that's the case, should
13 > see some related messages about backtracking.
14
15 In portage-2.1.7.3 the maximum backtrack count has been reduced from
16 30 to 5, and there's also a new --backtrack=COUNT option that you
17 can use to control it.
18 --
19 Thanks,
20 Zac