From: drobbins@g.o
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo RC3 kernel booting with AMD K6
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 22:04:36
On Mon, Jan 08, 2001 at 09:53:43PM -0600, Brian Snipes wrote:
> > OK. I followed the installation instructions from gentoo.org and my > booting of the bzImage kernel stops at: > > VFS: Mounted root (reiserfs filesystem) readonly. > Freeing unused kernel memory: 220k freed > > And then it pauses forever. Does the kernel support K6 processors or is > it PII+ only or does anyone else have any ideas what might be the problem?
I believe the kernel was compiled for Pentium Pro and up systems. Would this cause it to not be compatible with a standard K6? If so, we can move the optimizations back to Pentium Classic, if that will work for everyone. Congratulations, you found a potential bug :) Let me know how you'd like your kernel optimized and I'll compile a .tbz2 for you. If that ends up being the problem, I'll have it fixed in rc4. Best Regards, -- Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o> President/CEO http://www.gentoo.org Gentoo Technologies, Inc.