From: Dan Naumov <jago@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Question
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 02:16:44
1 On Wed, 2002-05-29 at 09:54, Bojan Blazevic wrote:
2 I recently found out about Gentoo Linux in a magazine. I went to the
3 site to find out more about it. I read the instructions and came out
4 perplexed at the end. None of the commands are explained in detail, I
5 take it that they are all standard Linux commands that previous Linux
6 version users would know. Is there a site or a book I can read to be
7 able to understand the instructions. Or what would you reccomend for a
8 person thats not o advanced that wants Gentoo.
11 I am afraid that if the commands mentioned in the installation guide
12 puzzle you, then Gentoo Linux is not for you, because they are indeed
13 standart Linux commands. If you're interested in Linux, but are too
14 afraid of commands that seem to be cryptic and are not ready for doing
15 lots of things manually as well as reading enormous amounts of
16 documentation, I would suggest some other Linux distribution, like
17 RedHat, Mandrake or SUSE.
18
19 They are much easier to setup for a person who is not an avid Linux user
20 and they have rather good hardware autodetection during the install
21 process and most of them also supply GUI configuration utils that you
22 can use after installation. Gentoo Linux offers neither, nor does it aim
23 to. Think of it as a do-it-yourself-Linux-distribution. Many people like
24 the idea, many people don't.
25
26 Sincerely,
27 Dan Naumov (aka Jago on OPN)