From: 320095285153-0001@t-online.de (Achim Gottinger)
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo RC3 kernel booting with AMD K6
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 01:07:18
Brian Snipes wrote:

> OK. I followed the installation instructions from gentoo.org and my > booting of the bzImage kernel stops at: > > VFS: Mounted root (reiserfs filesystem) readonly. > Freeing unused kernel memory: 220k freed > > And then it pauses forever. Does the kernel support K6 processors or is > it PII+ only or does anyone else have any ideas what might be the problem?
Hi Brian, I tested to install on a K6 yesterday too. The bootcd freezes after linuxrc is finished So init gets not started. I compiled everything here with -mpentium not -mpentiumpro, so the optimization can not be the cause for that. The tarnge thing is that older versions of gentoo worked fine on K6/2 machines here. If you have found the bug, please tell me, meanwhile I will try get things working here. Bye Achim