From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Packages pulling in python-3*, also they dont require it
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 09:56:32
On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 10:55:03AM +0100, Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis wrote:
> 2010-03-19 10:39:07 Petteri Räty napisał(a): > > On 19.3.2010 11.35, Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis wrote: > > > > > > > > I can add "python2" USE flag (enabled by default) to some versions of > > > dev-lang/python. With USE="-python2", Python 2 will not be required and > > > Python 3 will be set as main active version of Python. > > > > > > > You should move to the same scheme that ruby uses. Then users can just > > disable the python_version_3 or whatever USE_EXPAND scheme is used. > > We are waiting on ABI dependencies (and extended support for multiple ABIs in > package manager), which will provide some needed functionality.
You can do it now w/out waiting on ABI dependencies- I'm not saying the dependencies would be pretty, but it's doable to get abi level depdencies per slotting via expanding out the use combinations. Note that's a step beyond what's in place now- converting over to the ruby abuse of USE_EXPAND hands over better control to users now w/ the same dep gurantees. So... yeah, it's not reliant on EAPI. An EAPI extension *would* make it easier, but it's not required to do it (especially since the deps are already autogenerated to a decent degree). ~harring