From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Support for multiple ABIs (for Python modules etc.)
Date: Sat, 01 Aug 2009 18:01:50
1 On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 5:21 PM, Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar
2 Arahesis<Arfrever@g.o> wrote:
3 > 2009-07-26 14:40:13 Marijn Schouten (hkBst) napisaƂ(a):
4 >> Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis wrote:
5 >> > I would like to present the plan of support for multiple ABIs. It should be sufficient for
6 >> > Python modules and might be also appropriate for some other ABI types (e.g. for Ruby modules).
7 >>
8 >> In the context of which problem are you brainstorming?
9 >
10 > This proposition is intended to solve multiple problems, but Gentoo Python Project especially
11 > would like to have it available during transitions to new Python versions (e.g. Python 3.*).
12 > Python 3.1 will be added to the tree in the next week. Over 10 Python modules should work with
13 > Python 3, but the majority of packages doesn't work yet. We want to provide possibility of
14 > installing Python modules into site-packages directories of multiple Python versions (e.g. 2.6
15 > and 3.1). In currently existing EAPIs we *will* support it, but without checking Python ABI
16 > dependencies during dependency calculation.
19 I don't think this is easy to do, but I think the solution to this
20 problem should be the same as the (as yet not existing) solution to
21 the multi-ABI problem as in (x86_64 vs. ix86). The biggest issue is to
22 handle multiple instances of the same package and how to handle
23 overlapping (ABI independent) files.
24
25 Paul
28 Paul de Vrieze