From: Henrik Brix Andersen <brix@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Bugzilla etiquette suggestions
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 21:47:07
1 Hi,
2
3 On Sun, Feb 12, 2006 at 09:11:33PM +0000, Daniel Drake wrote:
4 > 2. Be careful with INVALID resolutions
5 >
6 > The term invalid _is_ harsh in bugzilla context, so make sure you write
7 > a quick thankful-sounding comment to go with it.
8 >
9 > Maybe we should consider alternatives. I quite like the NOTABUG
10 > resolution they have on the GNOME bugzilla.
11
12 I second that. I've always missed the not-so-harsh-sounding NOTABUG
13 resolution I used to use so frequently back when I used gnome bugzilla
14 on a daily basis.
15
16 > 3. Always record contributions by name
17 >
18 > If you commit something in response to a bug report that has been filed,
19 > always thank the user by full name (and bug number) in the ChangeLog and
20 > commit message.
21 >
22 > Do the above even if you already knew about the bug (i.e. you would have
23 > committed the same fix even if the user hadn't alerted you).
24 >
25 > This also applies for ebuild requests, ebuild submissions, and version
26 > bump requests/submissions. Might sound pointless for 'trivial'
27 > reports/requests but it is important to credit the user if they have
28 > gone to the trouble of filing a bug.
29
30 I don't really get this part. Why should I give credit to someone else
31 for providing a fix for a bug which I already fixed myself locally?
32
33 Why should I give credit to a user who filed a version bump request
34 two hours after release and more or less doubled my work in actually
35 performing the version bump?
36
37 I fear the above policy will only lead to more pointless bugs being
38 filed by the rare end-users who seem to like seeing their own name on
39 print...
40
41 > This also applies to contributors who you know well, contributors who
42 > you have named 9999 times before, and other Gentoo developers too.
43
44 Credit where credit is due, of course. Ebuild submissions, well
45 thought-out and well-tested patches, problem analysis and similar
46 should of course be credited - but to credit each and every user who
47 just happened to be the first to file an enhancement request for
48 version bump? First post, anyone?
49
50 > 4. Give the user a chance to make minor corrections
51 >
52 > If a user contributes a patch/ebuild which is slightly wrong, and the
53 > issue is non-critical, don't immediately correct it on their behalf and
54 > commit it to get the bug out of the way.
55 >
56 > Instead, provide an explanation of their mistake and give the user a day
57 > or two to correct it and attach an updated version. This has the bonuses
58 > that the user definately won't repeat that mistake in future
59 > contributions, and they will have the nice feeling of full credit for
60 > the contribution after you name them in the ChangeLog :)
61 >
62 > If they don't respond in that time, make the correction yourself and
63 > commit it anyway.
64
65 This will also double if not tripple my work-load. I understand the
66 motivation for this, but let's face it: developers are here for the
67 fun too - personally I am not here to educate end-users about minor
68 details which they might as well have read up on first by
69 themselves. I know that may sound harsh, it's not meant that way.
70
71 I just think I have more important things to spend my time on than
72 first writing a small essay on how the user could improve his work,
73 then discuss the details, then realize that I need to put in the
74 changes myself after all since the user didn't respong within a given
75 time period - and last but not least, test and commit the stuff to CVS
76 (Rather than just making the small changes required, test and commit).
77
78 > 5. Be thankful when marking FIXED
79 >
80 > When marking a bug as FIXED, I often forget that the user has tested 4
81 > kernel versions, moved their network card over to another computer,
82 > filed an identical bug report upstream, tested the solution, and
83 > reported back to me.
84 >
85 > I think a short note of thanks in the bugzilla comment can go a long way
86 > (suggestion: thank them for something in particular so that it doesn't
87 > sound so generic).
88
89 Agreed. I always try to remember posting a small thank you note when
90 closing a bug. Often it ends up as a pretty generic note, though. I'll
91 try to improve that :)
92
93 Just my thoughts on the above. All in all a good summary/reminder
94 about our behavior towards end-users who are being/trying to be
95 helpful. Thank you for taking the time to write it up.
96
97 Regards,
98 Brix
99 --
100 Henrik Brix Andersen <brix@g.o>
101 Gentoo Metadistribution | Mobile computing herd