From: Alex Xu <alex_y_xu@×××××.ca>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: Hosting daily gx86 squashfs images and deltas
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 01:29:40
1 On 17/01/14 08:08 PM, heroxbd@g.o wrote:
2 > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> writes:
3 >
4 >> However, it may be actually beneficial to provide other durations, like
5 >> weekly deltas. In my tests, the daily updates for this week summed up
6 >> to almost 50M while the weekly was barely 20M.
7 >
8 > Is there a way to merge the deltas without the original squashfs?
9
10 Uh... what? How would that work?
11
12 > how fast is the delta generation?
13
14 Very.
15
16 > It could be done on the server side on the fly and cached.
17
18 Too much work.
21 > Or we provide a set of 16,8,4,2,1 day deltas, then
22 >
23 > 16d: 1 piece needed
24 > 8d: 2 needed
25 > 4d: 4 needed
26 > 2d: 8 needed
27 > 1d: 16 needed
28 >
29 > The total of 31 pieces will cover a month (31 days) with at most 5
30 > deltas to be downloaded.
31 >
32 > e.g. If the system is 19 days old, then we download a 1d, 2d, and 16d.
35 This doesn't really help. Consider that deltas require both a *start*
36 and *end*. It's not as simple as adding it all up, since you would need
37 a 19-3d, then 3-1d, then 1-0d.