From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Gnome Stabilization 3.6 or 3.8
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2013 06:22:23
1 Alex Alexander posted on Thu, 08 Aug 2013 05:51:38 +0300 as excerpted:
2
3 > On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 2:49 AM, Patrick Lauer wrote:
4 >
5 >> On 08/07/2013 09:14 PM, Alexandre Rostovtsev wrote:
6 >> > On Wed, 2013-08-07 at 14:45 +0200, Michael Weber wrote:
7 >> >>
8 >> >> Gnome Herd decided to target stablilization of 3.8 [1] which
9 >> >> requires systemd.
10 >> >>
11 >> >> What are the reasons to stable 3.8 and not 3.6, a version w/o this
12 >> >> restriction, enabling all non systemd users to profit from this
13 >> >> eye-candy as well.
14 >> >
15 >> > To stabilize gnome-3.6, we would need [people willing to do it].
16 >> > We do not have such people on the gnome team.
17 >> >
18 >> Seeing the noise in #gentoo from people getting whacked in the kidney
19 >> by the systemd sidegrade ... that's a very optimistic decision.
20 >>
21 >> It'll cause lots of pain for users that suddenly can't start lvm
22 >> properly and other nasty landmines
23
24 >> I hope you understand that some of us will be very rude and just
25 >> suggest to unmerge gnome on all support requests as it now moves
26 >> outside our support range ...
27 >>
28 > Although I understand your frustration, I don't see any other options
29 > for the Gentoo gnome team. People who don't like this should take their
30 > complaints upstream.
31
32 That reads to me like resigned acceptance.
33
34 Gentoo/gnome is simply working with what upstream gnome gives them, which
35 for gentoo/gnome users now means a choice between gnome with systemd and
36 if no systemd, no gnome either. Upstream decision that gentoo/gnome is
37 dealing with too.
38
39 ...
40
41 [Those uninterested in gentoo/kde can stop reading here, as the rest of
42 the post is a complaint about that project not taking the same position.]
43
44 Gentoo/kde users would be so lucky!
45
46 As a gentoo/kde-er, I *WISH* the gentoo/kde team was as similarly willing
47 to continue support for the options kde upstream *ARE* still providing --
48 kde4 with the semantic-desktop options turned off. Yes, this does mean
49 doing without kdepim, but that has been the case for several versions, no
50 upstream change there for 4.11, at least not for kde's base packages as
51 necessary to run a kde desktop, yet gentoo carried support for building
52 kde without semantic-desktop in 4.10, and doesn't in 4.11.
53
54 Meanwhile, while the same build-time options that worked in 4.10 still
55 work in 4.11 (I know, as I put a lot of work into patching the ebuilds
56 here when gentoo/kde removed the options despite upstream continuing to
57 have them), the gentoo/kde project has decided to force the semantic-
58 desktop option ON for gentooers even where upstream continues to provide
59 the option to turn it off!
62 None-the-less, I do understand the problem of a gentoo project supporting
63 an option no devs on the project are actually interested in running.
64 Testing would be left to users, and quality would suffer a bit as a
65 result, but I know for a fact that there's users out there DOING that
66 testing, even with the additional cost of having to maintain ebuild
67 patches themselves to do it, because I'm one of them! Further, I'm
68 running 4.11.49.9999 live-branch and was running the betas before the
69 branch from trunk, so there's at least one user actually doing that
70 testing early enough to catch a good share of that feature's problems
71 before they get anywhere close to ~arch, let alone stable.
72
73 Despite, or perhaps /because/ of, all the previous pain kde upstream has
74 caused its users with the 4.x bump (which unlike the 4.10/4.11 bump was
75 at LEAST a major version bump) and with kdepim's switch to akonadi
76 mid-4.x (which unfortunately was NOT a major version bump), this time
77 there's no indication of upstream kde changing semantic-desktop horses
78 mid-stream and mid-major-version and forcing it on like that; it's
79 gentoo/kde that's doing it, pure and simple.
80
81 And I've already posted that regardless of what upstream kde or gentoo/kde
82 does, after all the trouble I went thru to rid my system of semantic-
83 desktop earlier in the kde4 series, I'm not ABOUT to enable it again now,
84 yes indeed, even if that means I unmerge the kde desktop entirely and
85 switch to something else -- which after all I've already done for major
86 portions of kde, including switching kmail->claws-mail when kdepim
87 unfortunately jumped the shark mid-major-version.
90 So as I said, gentoo/kde-ers would be so lucky, if the gentoo/kde project
91 took the same position gentoo/gnome's taking here, that they support what
92 upstream offers, that gentoo/gnome's only forcing systemd because
93 upstream gnome's forcing it. Were that the case, semantic-desktop
94 wouldn't be forced by gentoo/kde in kde 4.11, where upstream still offers
95 the same options they did in 4.10, where gentoo/kde offered the option as
96 well.
97
98 Meanwhile, I guess I know what the kde-sunset users felt like now...
99 except in that case as well as the gentoo/gnome case but unlike this one,
100 upstream WAS dropping support, and the gentoo project was simply
101 following upstream...
106 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman