From: "G.Wolfe Woodbury" <redwolfe@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] UEFI secure boot and Gentoo
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 15:48:24
1 On 06/15/2012 06:14 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > 8. I think the bigger issue is with ARM, and I'm not personally clear
3 > on what the exact policy is there. That really strikes me as
4 > antitrust, but MS might argue that on ARM they have no monopoly
5 > (instead we have a bunch of different vendors who almost universally
6 > lock down their hardware).
7 This requirement by M$ is applied to hardware that wants the "Certified
8 for Windows 8" logo. If the OEMs don't care about windows 8
9 certification, they can provide for UEIF secure boot disabling. Since it
10 is a "voluntary" acceptance in return for granting a consumer-fooling
11 certification, they get away with an anti-competetive practice. They
12 want to keep android off hardware used for Windows 8.
13 Always follow the money.
16 G.Wolfe Woodbury