From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] x32 fun pants
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2011 22:41:05
1 On Tuesday 06 December 2011 17:13:35 Markos Chandras wrote:
2 > On 12/02/2011 08:54 PM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > progress update: - binutils-2.22 in ~arch should work fine -
4 > > glibc-2.14.1-r1 in ~arch includes support when "x32" is in
5 > > MULTILIB_ABIS - linux-headers-3.1 includes support when "x32" is in
6 > > MULTILIB_ABIS - you'll still need gcc-4.7 from the toolchain
7 > > overlay - a 3.1 kernel can be obtained here:
8 > > https://github.com/hjl-tools/linux
9 > >
10 > > the only problem is with bootstrapping. there is no way atm to
11 > > live migrate between multilibs on your system. this isn't a new
12 > > problem ... we've been punting all bugs where people try to go from
13 > > MULTILIB_ABIS="amd64" to "x86 amd64" on a live system. same issue
14 > > applies when adding "x32" to the list.
15 >
16 > First of all thanks for your effort. I am really looking forward to
17 > using this new ABI. Can you please tell me which bug is the one you
18 > are referring to? Not sure how to search for that in bugzilla
19
20 there isn't a specific bug on the topic. there are random ones where people
21 try to emerge gcc and it errors out when building the 32bit ABI. this is
22 generally because they started off with a no-multilib profile and then later
23 switched it a multilib profile. we've just marked them as INVALID: install a
24 multilib stage3 if you want multilib.
25
26 > > i've been contemplating how to address this, but so far, it seems
27 > > like the easiest is to post a glibc binpkg which includes all
28 > > possible ABIs and have people install that first. then they should
29 > > be able to install gcc/linux- headers freely and rebuild glibc
30 > > after that.
31 >
32 > Do you have such a glibc binary around?
33
34 i'll post binaries here:
35 http://dev.gentoo.org/~vapier/x32/
36 -mike