From: Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Time based retirements
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 08:26:25
1 El jue, 20-12-2012 a las 21:30 -0800, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." escribió:
2 > On 12/20/12 7:21 PM, Doug Goldstein wrote:
3 > > I'm curious who had the brain dead idea to retire Gentoo developers
4 > > that are still interested in the distro, that maintain low activity
5 > > packages for herds that are stretched way too thin, and are still
6 > > contributing to the distro in many ways other than direct CVS commits
7 > > (e.g. overlays, user support, providing hardware to other devs, etc).
8 >
9 > Dough, thank you for rising the issue.
10 >
11 > I'm receiving the undertakers@ e-mail, so I have a pretty good view of
12 > what's happening.
13 >
14 > I have several suggestions how we can improve things:
15 >
16 > 1. 3 months is too short period anyway.
17 >
18 > 2. Think through what the goals are. We do not want to retire as many
19 > people as possible. We do not want to frustrate people who do contribute
20 > to Gentoo. We do not want to discourage people who consider becoming new
21 > developers. At least I don't.
22 >
23 > 3. I think what's important is to keep packages maintained. I consider
24 > maintainership to be a duty, not a privilege. If someone is listed in
25 > metadata.xml, but is not really maintaining the package, that creates a
26 > formal illusion that the package is maintained, and may prevent other
27 > people from stepping up and taking maintenance of that package.
28 >
29 > 4. I suggest that we focus on the above: keeping packages maintained.
30 > Taking packages out of hands of inactive/overworked maintainers is good.
31 > They can always become _more_ active, which is easier if they retain cvs
32 > access. If they make a single commit every 3-6 months, I'm fine with
33 > that as long as things are maintained properly.
34 >
35 > 5. Remember that cvs/bugzilla activity is not the only way of
36 > contributing. It's probably most tanglible and very needed, but let's
37 > not reduce real people and their real world situations, and their effort
38 > to contribute to just dates and numbers.
39 >
40 > Paweł
44 Also I must note that I am currently only looking to people with 0
45 commits AND bugs assigned to them, if they don't have unresolved bugs
46 for a long time I usually tend to leave them.
47
48 Also, before sending first mail, I also send them a mail to set their
49 devaway message and handle his bugs and if they don't have time to
50 reassign his packages, I do it for them.