From: James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Should NATTkA reject keywordreqs for packages with -arch (-*) keywords?
Date: Tue, 05 May 2020 22:52:36
1 On Tue, 05 May 2020 22:19:59 +0200
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Hi,
5 >
6 > TL;DR: should NATTkA reject request to keyword on arch if the ebuild has
7 > '-arch' (or '-*') in KEYWORDS already?
10 > Background: I've recently been rekeywording two packages that gained
11 > dependency on gevent. When I was mass-requesting rekeywording, it
12 > escaped my attention that gevent is explicitly marked '-ia64'. The arch
13 > team apparently got mad at me and added gevent to their package.mask to
14 > make its breakage more explicit.
15 >
16 > I think it would make sense if NATTkA detected '-ia64' there and told me
17 > that the package is keyword-masked on ia64.
18 >
19 > The flip side is that it would prevent people from using NATTkA to
20 > restore keywords that were marked '-arch' before. Of course, if this
21 > would ever be necessary it could easily be resolved via removing '-arch'
22 > first or adding some extra hack.
23 >
24 > WDYT?
25
26 Play it safe. -* is frequently used for binary packages where an arch
27 will simply either work or it won't, with little likelihood of the
28 situation changing. -arch is so rare that I don't recall ever seeing
29 it. In either case, restoring an arch should be an explicit action.
32 James Le Cuirot (chewi)
33 Gentoo Linux Developer