From: Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposing fundamental changes to DevRel
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 20:10:05
1 Patrick,
4 On 06/17/10 18:21, Patrick Lauer wrote:
5 > Now of course this will cause friction. I've noticed it especially with
6 > germanic and slavic languages that are more terse than english.
7 > For example "Sit down!" is acceptable in all situations in german,
8
9 maybe acceptable, sure not polite or friendly.
12 > You can extrapolate the friction this can and will cause. So unless
13 > someone actively personally insults me I'll just assume it got lost in
14 > translation.
15
16 I understand "extrapolating friction" as having the receiver fixing
17 potential miscommunication. Is that what you meant? While it may work
18 for you it's an inversion of responsibility again to me. I want Gentoo
19 to be attractive to users without that skill, too.
22 > And there's little we can do about it because many people
23 > don't notice these translation issues or don't know english well enough
24 > to express themselves with the needed refinement.
25
26 Things we can do include raising awareness and keep trying.
29 > So let's not get too hung up on single words, stop
30 > floodmailing and resume fixing bugs, mmmhkay?
31
32 Are you asking me to shut up?
33 In case floodmailing refers to me: I'm not done yet.
34
35 We have more or less ignored non-technical issues for quite some time
36 concentrating on technical issues as that's easier. The thing is:
37 Technical things work much better in Gentoo than non-technical things.
38
39 Let me repeat: Technical is not our main problem.
40
41 Best,
45 Sebastian