From: "Paweł Hajdan
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Reducing glibc's default locale.gen
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2011 07:41:25
1 On 6/7/11 9:53 PM, Matt Turner wrote:
2 > Building 400~ locales is not fun on mips when building stages.
3
4 Do you have some data to quantify "not fun"? How long does it take?
5
6 > No user has a need for more than some small subset of the total
7 > available locales.
8 >
9 > I filed bug [1] to request the ability to select locales in catalyst
10 > spec files, but no responses after six months -- which is totally
11 > typical of catalyst bugs.
12 >
13 > I commented in bug [2] suggesting that we perhaps reduce the default
14 > locale.gen to only 'en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8' or some other limited subset.
15
16 It makes sense to me, especially for "exotic" arches. It seems that
17 locale-gen is cheap anyway on x86 and amd64, where it probably matters most.