From: Jason Rhinelander <jason@××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Drivers/Portage
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 19:39:28
1 Martin Owens wrote:
2 > This is probably not a new idea, but I've had the idea of creating a driver
3 > portage system that contains information firstly, detection secondly and
4
5 In other words, what lspci/pciutils does?
6
7 > configuration scripts and tools thirdly.
8
9 This is (sort of) what Redhat's kudzu is meant to do - detect new
10 hardware and automatically configure it for you, more or less like what
11 MS Windows does.
12
13 > the idea is to enable admins and users to quickly learn if their device is
14 > suported, find out what device they actualy have and maybe get the right
15 > configuration, kernel modules and scripts installed.
16
17 Again, basically what Kudzu does. To be honest, way back when I used
18 Redhat and/or Mandrake, I found the automatic hardware detection
19 terribly annoying.
20
21 > I just know someone has to be working on this, because it seems like such a
22 > worthwhile project to enable Linux to escape the hardware headache monica it
23 > has too readly acuired.
24
25 I suspect Redhat's automatic detection programs annoyed more experienced
26 linux users (i.e. admins) than it helped; most admins are able to run
27 lspci in order to see what kernel configuration/modules they'll need.
30 If you really want to do something to help the "hardware headache" (I'm
31 not sure what 'monica' means - I couldn't find it in any dictionary) -
32 help the linux kernel developers to actually support more hardware more
33 stably (like Serial ATA, ACPI suspend-to-ram, etc.) The "hardware
34 headache" doesn't come from having trouble identifying cards, it comes
35 from having to be nearly on the bleeding edge of kernel development for
36 support of any hardware less than a year old.
40 -- Jason Rhinelander
41 -- Gossamer Threads, Inc.
45 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list