From: Aron Griffis <agriffis@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GPG Signed packages
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 22:45:55
1 James Harlow wrote: [Sat Nov 22 2003, 08:15:57AM EST]
2 > I hope I've convinced people this is valuable.
3
4 I was convinced already, but it's really nice to see some first steps
5 listed and some worst case scenarios covered.
6
7 md5sums help to prevent problems due to corrupted downloads and/or
8 corrupted mirrors. This can include corruption due to malicious
9 tampering. However it doesn't provide the avenues of detection and
10 containment provided by signatures. An additional benefit of signatures
11 is that they can only be generated by a developer, whereas md5sums can
12 be generated by whoever.
13
14 Would it be possible to store the signatures in a file separate from the
15 sources themselves, similar to the digests at the moment?
16
17 Aron
20 Aron Griffis
21 Gentoo Linux Developer (alpha / ia64 / ruby / vim)
22 Key fingerprint = E3B6 8734 C2D6 B5E5 AE76 FB3A 26B1 C5E3 2010 4EB0