From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Policy for conflicting USE flags
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 19:33:58
1 On 02/09/2011 03:11 PM, Zac Medico wrote:
2 > In order to try to avoid forcing users to micro-manage flags too much,
3 > it might make sense to avoid REQUIRED_USE whenever it's possible to do a
4 > build that will almost certainly suit the user's needs. The most common
5 > case that I can imagine where REQUIRED_USE is really necessary is for
6 > libraries were reverse USE dependencies might be broken without it.
7
8 To clarify about issues with reverse USE dependencies, I mean any
9 library with something like REQUIRED_USE="^^ ( a b )" where either a or
10 b would be specified in reverse USE dependencies. Also, it's worth
11 noting that something like REQUIRED_USE="c? ( ^^ ( a b ) )" may not need
12 REQUIRED_USE if reverse USE dependencies dep on c rather than a or b.
13 --
14 Thanks,
15 Zac