From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Policy regarding enablement of drop-in configuration files
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 18:15:18
1 Hi all,
2
3 I have been bumping heads with Mike Frysinger (vapier) on the topic of
4 drop-in config files that are utilized by quite a few system services
5 on Gentoo. For reference, see bug 544150.
6
7 Mike claims that Gentoo has a policy of "not enabling anything by
8 default", and that this policy applies to both init scripts, and
9 drop-in configuration files.
10
11 I counter that we have no such policy. We don't generally enable init
12 scripts by default because that just makes logical sense. Mike F. is
13 trying to apply this same logic to drop-in configs, and that just
14 doesn't fit.
15
16 Regarding drop-in configuration files, there are many examples where
17 these are generally enabled by default, or it is left to the
18 maintainers discretion:
19
20 - udev rules are enabled by default
21 - crontab entries are left to the maintainer, but are generally
22 enabled by default
23 - tmpfiles.d entries are enabled by default
24 - logrotate entries are enabled by default
25 - binfmt.d entries are enabled by default
26
27 Further, the way many of these services is designed does not allow for
28 the drop-in configs to be easily disabled by default by the OS vendor.
29 However, in most cases, they may be disabled by the sysadmin by use of
30 an overriding drop-in config somewhere under /etc.
31
32 My questions to the community:
33
34 - Do we have a policy regarding enablement of drop-in config files?
35 - If so, what is it? Where is it documented?
36 - If not, do we need a policy and what should it be?
37 - Keep in mind that any policy needs to be technically feasible to implement.