From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: GLEP 42 (news) Round Seven
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 16:54:38
1 Jan Kundrát posted <43BE968C.4090609@g.o>, excerpted below, on
2 Fri, 06 Jan 2006 17:10:52 +0100:
3
4 > Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
5 >> * Removed --ask message, apparently it's superfluous.
6 >
7 > Why? I haven't found any conclusion about that in the last thread. It
8 > doesn't make sense to show the message in both `emerge -p foo` and
9 > `emerge foo`, but not in `emerge -a foo`, IMHO.
10
11 My thinking too, until I saw the portage dev (JStubbs?) mention it wasn't
12 needed.
13
14 I believe the thinking is that emerge --ask is basically emerge --pretend
15 with an opportunity to continue stuck on the end, thus eliminating running
16 the same command only without the --pretend again, therefore eliminating
17 running portage's dep calculation step twice, once for the pretend, then
18 again for the run.
19
20 Looked at this way, -a automatically gets the same treatment as -p.
21 Actually, -a might spit out the unread news warning twice, once as part of
22 the pretend output, then again as part of the regular emerge once the user
23 has said to continue. In any case, it should spit it out in at least the
24 first instance, just as --pretend would.
25
26 So, yes, it was mentioned in (one of) the previous threads. It was only a
27 small mention, however, so you might have missed it. I might have myself,
28 had I not commented on -a functionality myself earlier, and was therefore
29 watching for discussion of that aspect in particular.
34 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
35 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
39 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list