From: Christian Skarby <christian@××××××.no>
To: maurerl@××××××××.edu
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Why the freeze?
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 05:10:27
1 > I wrote this in the middle of a thread on the forums, and it was
2 > suggested I ask here:
3 >
4 >> That said, are we sure the freeze is so necessary? I presume it's so a
5 >> static Portage state can be used for testing the install CD. Why not
6 >> just use a snapshot of the frozen tree, test with that one, then have
7 >> it be the one included on the stage-3 CD?
8
9 The freeze is initiated in order to get rid of bugs from existing ebuilds.
10 Mon 07 Oct 2002, 0800 GMT:7420 bugs down (4932 fixes), 1448 to go
11
12 And well, I believe we'd like all ebuilds in portage to work properly, on
13 the other hand there are probably a lot of new ebuilds coming up from
14 external developers that is waiting on bugs.gentoo.org for inclusion when
15 the freeze is lifted. I believe those will be tested before they are
16 included into the live portage tree. Looking forward to the time when the
17 bugs are sorted out and new ebuilds once again are made availiable through
18 rsync.
19
20 Christian