From: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Let's redesign the entire filesystem!
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 12:28:17
On 03/14/2012 20:45, Zac Medico wrote:

> On 03/14/2012 05:36 PM, David Leverton wrote: >> On 14 March 2012 23:47, Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote: >>> It's more about what we're _not_ doing that what we're doing. >> >> Clearly something must have changed in udev 181 to make >> /usr-without-initramfs not work anymore, and someone must have done >> something to make that change happen, unless udev has aquired the >> ability to evolve by itself. > > You're pointing your finger at udev, but the udev change is just a > symptom of a more general shift away from supporting the "/ is a > self-contained boot disk that is independent of /usr" use case.
I think it's better to say that udev is one of the more important components of your average Linux system that's decided to support a unified root + /usr filesystem. If we were looking at some non-critical, non-boot service that made this decision, then we wouldn't be having this discussion. -- Joshua Kinard Gentoo/MIPS kumba@g.o 4096R/D25D95E3 2011-03-28 "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between." --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic