From: Patrick McLean <chutzpah@g.o>
To: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Signed push & clock drift rejection
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2016 20:28:35
1 On Tue, 19 Jul 2016 13:22:29 -0700
2 Patrick McLean <chutzpah@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Tue, 19 Jul 2016 21:23:16 +0300
5 > Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o> wrote:
6 > > On Mon, 18 Jul 2016 22:21:22 -0400 waltdnes@××××××××.org wrote:
7 > > > On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 11:27:09PM +0300, Andrew Savchenko
8 > > > wrote
9 > > > >
10 > > > > As I wrote earlier in this thread, ntp server is not a guarantee
11 > > > > that such problems will not happen. If hardware clocked was
12 > > > > significantly offset during boot, it may take several _hours_
13 > > > > for ntp to fix this via clock skew. Apparantly commit may be
14 > > > > made during these several hours.
15 > > >
16 > > > I'm amazed that "robust linux servers" are deathly afraid of
17 > > > simply setting the time, and being done with it. And while we're
18 > > > at it, if a developer is doing development on a server machine,
19 > > > he may have other problems to worry about. At home I occasionally
20 > > > manually run a script that includes the 2 lines...
21 > >
22 > > I never said anything about "robust linux servers". If you think
23 > > than only servers need a gradual clock slew instead of stepping,
24 > > you are mistaken.
25 > >
26 > > > /usr/bin/sudo /usr/bin/openrdate -n -s ca.pool.ntp.org
27 > > > /usr/bin/sudo /sbin/hwclock --systohc
28 > >
29 > > And if time delta is significant, the system may become broken
30 > > this way. Congratulations.
31 >
32 > Really? I have many times skewed time by weeks using ntpdate with no
33 > issues.
34 >
35 > > The gradual NTP time slew was not invented because people were lazy
36 > > to run two simple commands. Actually it is just the opposite:
37 > > setting system time via a single huge step is much easier to
38 > > implement than a proper adjustment via a series of small time slews.
39 > > For servers it is indeed important in many ways, including
40 > > time stamp based cryptography as kerberos or database integrity.
41 >
42 > Sure randomly skewing time can cause weird issues, which is why it is
43 > a manual operation (and/or boot time operation).
46 > > But desktops also do need a proper time adjustment:
47 > > - Filesystems will not operate correctly with time stamps in
48 > > future, in the best keys they will be marked/reported as needed a
49 > > repair procedure.
50 >
51 > I have only ever seen ext4 complain about the superblock timestamp,
52 > and fsck generally just corrects without issue, and it generally is
53 > only an issue after a reboot.
54 >
55 > > - Cron jobs may go broken too as chithanh mentioned already.
56 >
57 > Get a better crond? Decent cron daemons can detect time skews and act
58 > accordingly.
59 >
60 > > - Video encoding is not happy with time shifts at all. While small
61 > > predictable slews can be tolerated, large jumps will just broke the
62 > > process.
63 >
64 > Anything that cares about having a monotonic clock, and doesn't
65 > actually care about the real time (like video encoding) should just
66 > use the monotonic clock, not the system time.
67 >
68 > > - System may become *vulnerable* because of time stamp based attack.
69 > > Though it is not easy to use such behaviour, it is still possible.
70 >
71 > Once again, monotonic clock exists for a reason. If you want to
72 > talk about vulnerabilities, you do realize that doesn't work properly
73 > unless the client and server have reasonably similar system times.
74 >
75 Err, SSL doesn't work properly.
76
77 > > - and many more...