From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] new `usex` helper
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 00:42:27
1 On 09:37 Wed 21 Sep , Alec Warner wrote:
2 > On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 6:11 AM, Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o> wrote:
3 > > Not really, because when you update a bundled lib you actually make
4 > > your whole app compile with it. People change the APIs of eclasses
5 > > and then just let every internal consumer (ebuilds in gentoo-x86)
6 > > break. Maybe if we put the burden on the one who changed the API,
7 > > like the Linux kernel model, it would bother me less.
8 >
9 > I think people do this for three reasons.
10 >
11 > 1) There are no refactoring tools that I know of for bash.
12 > 2) There exist some package maintainers that will yell at you if you
13 > touch their packages for any reason.
14
15 To refer to the Linux model again, you send patches to the maintainers,
16 and they just commit them. This is much less effort than figuring out to
17 handle some incomprehensible change to an already weird eclass and then
18 sorting out how to deal with it across 20 or 30 packages.
19
20 > 3) Breaking things means they get fixed.
21 >
22 > We have this notify -> deprecate -> break workflow; I actually don't
23 > mind it (but only because I've seen it used elsewhere.)
24
25 I do, because I don't have time to deal with other people breaking my
26 packages, whether they're in gentoo-x86, the science overlay, or my
27 personal one. I've got more important things to deal with, within Gentoo
28 and in the rest of my life.
31 Thanks,
32 Donnie
33