From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Proposed security policy for web-based apps
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 20:24:58
1 Hi,
2
3 I'd like to introduce the following security policy for web-based apps.
4 If there are no objections, every new web-based app will have to conform
5 to the policy before it can be added to the tree. Every existing
6 web-based app will have to conform to the policy by the end of August,
7 or I will remove it from the tree.
8
9 The proposed policy is simply that:
10
11 1. The Gentoo package's maintainer will identify one *named* contact
12 UPSTREAM for security-related matters, and one named general contact
13 UPSTREAM (as a fallback for when the security contact is
14 unreachable).
15 2. This information will be held on the Dev Wiki.
16 3. This information will be checked every three months to ensure it
17 remains valid.
18 4. In situations where the UPSTREAM contacts are unreachable, and no
19 new contact can be identified, the package will be masked and
20 marked for removal from the Portage tree (ie it fails this policy)
21
22 I believe that security holes will be discovered from time to time. I
23 want to make sure that, when a hole has been found, everything's in
24 place for us to work with UPSTREAM at the greatest possible speed to get
25 things resolved.
26
27 I would rather we only distributed web-based apps where we can be
28 confident that security is taken appropriately seriously UPSTREAM. Web
29 servers are too easy a target for us to be distributing software we
30 can't be confident about.
31
32 Thoughts, comments, other (constructive) feedback?
33
34 Best regards,
35 Stu
36 --
37 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
38 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
39 http://stu.gnqs.org/diary/
40
41 GnuGP key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
42 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C