From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] reason for dhcpcd in system profile ?
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 20:40:02
1 ok, this breaks threading but I just got a bounce due to wrong sender
2 address, (having mailprobs)
3
4 ---
5 begin quote
6 On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 20:16:07 +0200
7 Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o> wrote:
8
9 > On Sunday 24 August 2003 18:44, Spider wrote:
10 > > begin quote
11 > > On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 11:32:22 -0500
12 >
13 > > > lpr
14 > >
15 > > But, Am I the only one who sees an advantage in moving the default
16 > > profiles to LSB compliance, and providing an alternated "light" one
17 > > for the cases that want them? (heck, if you dislike dhcpcd I'm
18 > > pretty sure you don't want the bloat of glibc either, go for uclibc.
19 > > ;) but sarcasm
20 > > aside, the suggestion is serious.
21 >
22 > Well, I can see the advantage of mimmicing the LSB, but for example
23 > lpr does not make sense without a printer, and setting up a printer
24 > takes configuring anyway so I don't feel it should be part of system
27 Here we can disagree, as the LSB defines lpr, it can well be just an
28 offline printer (print-to-file setup) which can very well be configured
29 per default.
30
31 However, if we wish to include it in the basic profile or not is another
32 question. I still think that doing so (or posix compliance, see thread
33 about bloat.) could provide to be a benefit for the project.
36 //Spider
40 begin .signature
41 This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!
43 end