From: James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] libpcre.so.3 - Compatibility with Debian
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2016 11:20:56
1 On Thu, 11 Aug 2016 12:56:02 +0200
2 Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > >> IMHO providing compatibility symlinks for proprietary binary-only
5 > >> programs isn't the task of the libpcre package.
6 >
7 > > I'm fine with putting it in libpcre-debian package as kentnl
8 > > suggested.
9 >
10 > I still think that the libpcre.so.3 compatibility link shouldn't be
11 > installed in a generally visible location. Install it in a specific
12 > directory instead, and start your binary with a wrapper which will
13 > add that directory to LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
14
15 That makes it slightly more awkward for binaries you may have installed
16 manually. Can we agree to disagree on this one? It won't affect those
17 who don't need it. Obviously if anything blows up, I'll take full
18 responsibility.
21 James Le Cuirot (chewi)
22 Gentoo Linux Developer