From: Joachim Blaabjerg <styx@×××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] XFS / gentoo-sources
Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 05:36:22
1 On Thursday 02 May 2002 10:40, linux-dev wrote:
2
3 > What to make of all this? I'm in as much of a dilemma as many others,
4 > and the first impulse was to create my own Gentoo kernel with all of
5 > the performance and security patches + XFS (which seems to be simply an
6 > image size issue--based on D. Robbin's "I was able to really enhance
7 > this kernel because I didn't have the huge XFS patch to get in the way.",
8 > rather than a stability issue). If XFS creates instability in the
9 > newest kernel sources, this should be mentioned, since many people
10 > will read the install documentation thinking the following excerpt
11 > more or less means "stable":
12
13 It's not a size issue (AFAIK). What Daniel meant, was that the XFS patch is
14 "huge _and intrusive_", and making it work with other patches (like -ac for
15 instance) is really not trivial. I know, because I've tried myself.
16
17 I do agree though, that if this problem isn't worked around or solved, the
18 docs should be changed.
19
20 FWIW, I'm going to sit down and take another look at these patches right now,
21 so wish me luck :P
24 Joachim Blaabjerg
25 styx@×××××.org
26 www.SuxOS.org