From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Thank you
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 23:43:51
1 Canek Peláez Valdés posted on Thu, 06 Feb 2014 00:30:10 -0600 as
2 excerpted:
3
4 > TL;DR, this is basically just a THANK YOU to the Gentoo devs, so
5 > you can go on your daily business if you don't want to read the rest of
6 > it. No biggie.
7
8 Along these same lines...
9
10 Who helps your Linux distribution run smoothly? Thank a packager today
11
12 http://opensource.com/business/14/2/thank-a-linux-packager-today
13
14 Quoting...
15
16 In many cases, the process of packaging uncovers issues with the package
17 that require the upstream developers to make changes and adjustments. A
18 packager also works in close coordination with other packagers in the
19 same Linux distribution because many packages have dependencies on other
20 packages or provide services for other packages, making it vital that the
21 community of packagers coordinate their updates to ensure the consistency
22 of the final Linux distribution.
23
24 As Linux users, it is often easy to forget (disregard?) how much work
25 goes into the creation and maintenance of a Linux distribution. [...]
26
27 After having learned the ropes of Linux packaging, and having seen first
28 hand the dedication of this community, I developed a great deal of
29 respect and appreciation for their work. Now, every time I install a
30 package [...] I pause and think:
31
32 "Thank you to the person who spent many hours configuring and building
33 this application so that I didn’t have to."
34
35 End quote.
36
37 So here I am. Thanks! =:^)
42 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman