From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Let's redesign the entire filesystem!
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 05:05:26
On 3/14/12 10:58 AM, Matthew Summers wrote:

> __Everyone__ is already using an initramfs, therefore there are no > initramfs-less systems anymore (it may just be empty). Every single > person reading this thread that has not already done so needs to > immediately go read the relevant documentation located in > /usr/src/linux/Documentation/filesystems/ramfs-rootfs-initramfs.txt, > then and only then can a real discourse be had.
Yawn, I don't and I won't since I don't need it. Why should I?
> Why is an in-kernel initramfs so bad anyway? I am baffled. Its quite > nice to have a minimal recovery env in case mounting fails, etc, etc, > etc.
Because at least for me is *totally* pointless. My main system is with a single partition so I shouldn't care much, I have a system that has a separate /usr so probably I'll have *some* pain once I'll upgrade it if I don't merge /usr and / partitions before. Still the whole idea brings us back to the freebsd "everything in /usr" while would make more sense go the hurd way "everything in /" if there is a sound reason to merge those. Beside the whole /usr/share/id-data-du-jour-my-udev-rule-might-need and the I-want-glib and I-want-dbus bandwagon I hadn't seen any compelling reason. Having anything as complex as dbus for early boot sounds dangerous or frail. lu