From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Making backwards-incompatible tree changes | a solution for GLEP 55's problem
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 17:15:03
On Sep 20, 2011 1:05 PM, "Patrick Lauer" <patrick@g.o> wrote:
> Good idea, but won't work retroactively out of the box. So you'd need a
helper script to figure out your current state (using portage version and tree snapshot maybe), then prepare the environment to upgrade

Does it really need to be automated? Why not just have a big howto that we append to whenever we break @system upgrades? The top would have a table telling you where to start based on portage version or whatever. The howto would contain links to portage and bindist snapshots (just what you need to upgrade - maybe binary pkgs, maybe not). Then it would have a list of steps to follow. If you are three years out of date it would be a long journey, but it should work. I don't think we need to make it a trivial upgrade, just a workable one. And as far as extracting stage3s go - I've done it before in a pinch, but I usually pick and choose individual files to keep it under control... Rich