From: Alexey Shvetsov <alexxy@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Portage Git migration - clean cut or git-cvsserver
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 19:53:42
1 Michał Górny писал 2012-05-31 23:33:
2 > On Thu, 31 May 2012 14:18:04 -0500
3 > William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 01:48:29PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
6 >> > On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 12:49 PM, Robin H. Johnson
7 >> > <robbat2@g.o> wrote:
8 >> > > 1.
9 >> > > Discussion on merge policy. Originally I thought we would
10 >> > > disallow merge commits, so that we would get a cleaner history.
11 >> > > However, it turns out that if the repo ends up being pushed to
12 >> > > different places with slightly different histories, merges are
13 >> > > absolutely going to be required to prevent somebody from having
14 >> > > to rebase at least one of their sets of commits that are already
15 >> > > pushed.
16 >> >
17 >> > Not sure I'm following, but I will be the first to admit that I'm
18 >> a
19 >> > git novice. Would this be aided by a convention, like only
20 >> > committing to master on the gentoo official repository, and any
21 >> > on-the-side work on places like github/etc stays in branches?
22 >> > Those repositories would just keep getting fed commits on master
23 >> > from the official repository.
24 >>
25 >> Iagree with this; I think we should ban merge commits on master.
26 >> That
27 >> would force everyone to rebase their work on current master before
28 >> they commit to master which would make the history clean.
29 >
30 > What would git signing work with rebased commits? Would all of them
31 > have to be signed once again?
32
33 Commits itsels still will be signed
34 --
35 Best Regards,
36 Alexey 'Alexxy' Shvetsov
37 Petersburg Nuclear Physics Institute, NRC Kurchatov Institute,
38 Gatchina, Russia
39 Department of Molecular and Radiation Biophysics
40 Gentoo Team Ru
41 Gentoo Linux Dev
42 mailto:alexxyum@×××××.com
43 mailto:alexxy@g.o