From: Alexey Shvetsov <alexxy@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Portage Git migration - clean cut or git-cvsserver
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 19:53:42
Michał Górny писал 2012-05-31 23:33:
> On Thu, 31 May 2012 14:18:04 -0500 > William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote: > >> On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 01:48:29PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote: >> > On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 12:49 PM, Robin H. Johnson >> > <robbat2@g.o> wrote: >> > > 1. >> > > Discussion on merge policy. Originally I thought we would >> > > disallow merge commits, so that we would get a cleaner history. >> > > However, it turns out that if the repo ends up being pushed to >> > > different places with slightly different histories, merges are >> > > absolutely going to be required to prevent somebody from having >> > > to rebase at least one of their sets of commits that are already >> > > pushed. >> > >> > Not sure I'm following, but I will be the first to admit that I'm >> a >> > git novice. Would this be aided by a convention, like only >> > committing to master on the gentoo official repository, and any >> > on-the-side work on places like github/etc stays in branches? >> > Those repositories would just keep getting fed commits on master >> > from the official repository. >> >> Iagree with this; I think we should ban merge commits on master. >> That >> would force everyone to rebase their work on current master before >> they commit to master which would make the history clean. > > What would git signing work with rebased commits? Would all of them > have to be signed once again?
Commits itsels still will be signed -- Best Regards, Alexey 'Alexxy' Shvetsov Petersburg Nuclear Physics Institute, NRC Kurchatov Institute, Gatchina, Russia Department of Molecular and Radiation Biophysics Gentoo Team Ru Gentoo Linux Dev mailto:alexxyum@×××××.com mailto:alexxy@g.o mailto:alexxy@×××××××××××××.ru