From: "Paweł Hajdan
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] integrity of stage files
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2011 23:40:24
1 On 10/8/11 3:43 PM, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 >> 1. Why are we using _only_ MD5 and SHA1 as the checksums? Shouldn't we
3 >> be using something stronger?
4 > Fixed in Catalyst now.
5 > http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/catalyst.git;a=commit;h=42b4f6608682cf03954918ecce7923330a1656fe
6 > So when the stagebuilders update their Catalyst, they will be generated
7 > with newer hashes.
8
9 Thank you for a quick reaction, but maybe in one aspect it was too
10 quick:
11 <http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=5>
12 tells people to use md5sum, and the patch above _removes_ md5 sum, which
13 means the Handbook instructions now won't work.
14
15 Suggested course of action:
16
17 1. Please re-add md5 sum.
18 2. File a bug to modify the handbook to verify sha sum instead.
19 3. Then remove the checksum.
20
21 >> 2. I noticed the checksums are signed (.asc files). With what key are
22 >> they signed? How is that key handled, and how to ensure people use the
23 >> right key when verifying the signature?
24 > Documented here:
25 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/releng/
26
27 Ah, I just forgot about that page. Okay, so can we also update the
28 Handbook to include GPG signature checking?