From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Portage Git migration - clean cut or git-cvsserver
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2012 00:53:40
1 On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 4:49 PM, Michael Weber <xmw@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Cloning the repo [1] takes 200seconds on 8cores (it's 2GB of data and
4 > 22 minutes of 3.4GHz cpus).
7 As others have pointed out, probably the best way to bootstrap this is
8 to offer tarballs of a shallow repository and a full repository.
9 Perhaps we'd offer the latter as a torrent. The shallow repository
10 should be light on the CPU too.
11
12 This would be a lot easier on the server than having everybody and
13 their uncle doing a full 2GB clone.
14
15 Devs could then do a pull to get the latest and greatest, and that
16 would only transfer the delta.
17
18 I imagine our mirror network can handle the bandwidth compared to what
19 we're already doing with distfiles. Worst case we could take a
20 one-time hit and use S3 or whatever to do the distribution (they even
21 support bittorrent to cut down on the bill).
22
23 Rich