From: drobbins@g.o
To: "Dooley, Ryan" <dooleyr@××××××××.edu>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] First impressions
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 22:23:03
On Sun, Jan 07, 2001 at 05:05:18PM -0600, Dooley, Ryan  wrote:

> 1) I noticed that there were a few things in /usr such as man, > info, doc, etc. that under the fsstnd should be in /usr/share. > Was this intentional?
Of course it was intentional :) However, we do plan to gradually move towards FHS 2.1 compliance, so we'll be using more of /usr/share in the future. Compatibility symlinks will probably exist as well.
> 2) Why use /opt?
Well, it too is part of FHS 2.1, and is a good way to modularize major optional subsystems like KDE and GNOME.
> 3) Any chance of getting Kerberos in the base system? Here at > the university of missouri, we use kerberos and were quite > pleased when RedHat started to ship with kerberos bundled. > I believe that kerberos is no longer governed by export > restrictions in the US. I could be wrong though and I guess > that would be the reason.
I'd love to add Kerberos to the base distribution; however, since I don't use Kerberos I'd don't think I'm the one to do it. I would definitely support the addition of Kerberos 5 to Gentoo Linux if anyone would like to tackle the project.
Thanks very much and we look forward to your contributions! Best Regards, -- Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o> President/CEO http://www.gentoo.org Gentoo Technologies, Inc.