From: drobbins@g.o
To: "Dooley, Ryan" <dooleyr@××××××××.edu>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] First impressions
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 22:23:03
1 On Sun, Jan 07, 2001 at 05:05:18PM -0600, Dooley, Ryan wrote:
2
3 > 1) I noticed that there were a few things in /usr such as man,
4 > info, doc, etc. that under the fsstnd should be in /usr/share.
5 > Was this intentional?
6
7 Of course it was intentional :) However, we do plan to gradually move
8 towards FHS 2.1 compliance, so we'll be using more of /usr/share in the
9 future. Compatibility symlinks will probably exist as well.
10
11 > 2) Why use /opt?
12
13 Well, it too is part of FHS 2.1, and is a good way to modularize major optional
14 subsystems like KDE and GNOME.
15
16 > 3) Any chance of getting Kerberos in the base system? Here at
17 > the university of missouri, we use kerberos and were quite
18 > pleased when RedHat started to ship with kerberos bundled.
19 > I believe that kerberos is no longer governed by export
20 > restrictions in the US. I could be wrong though and I guess
21 > that would be the reason.
22
23 I'd love to add Kerberos to the base distribution; however, since I don't use
24 Kerberos I'd don't think I'm the one to do it. I would definitely support
25 the addition of Kerberos 5 to Gentoo Linux if anyone would like to tackle
26 the project.
27
28 > As soon as I get more time, I'd definatly contribute to gentoo. I
29 > think this is a solid idea and I'd like to see that gentoo suceeds!
30
31 Thanks very much and we look forward to your contributions!
32
33 Best Regards,
36 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
37 President/CEO http://www.gentoo.org